Hello Again, Everyone!
This week we take a small jump from Ann Arbor to the town just next door, Dexter. While I was out enjoying the absolutely, beautiful fall weather this past week, I was struck with an idea. I wanted to go to the one place that totally epitomizes fall for me. In fact going to this place has been a tradition for generations in my family as both my grandfathers used to love to head over to the cider mill for cider and donuts! So, I introduce to you the Dexter Cider Mill!
This particular mill located along the Huron River has been in operation since 1886 and is the oldest continuously operating cider mill in Michigan. The cider made there is a combination of three to five different types of apples and has been made this way for the last 120 years, using an oak rack press that is over 100 years old! During the cider season, the mill uses different combinations of apples to create different flavors of cider. Today the Dexter Cider Mill is always quite busy during the fall with those who want to see the cider made and get a taste. They even have wine tasting available as well! After watching the cider made you can buy your own bottle of fresh cider, buy some dixie cups for a nickel, and head down to the river where there are bales of hay to sit on. But don't forget the cinnamon sugar donuts because what goes better with cider than donuts? Nothing!! This is a great spot to sit, relax, and enjoy the cider and wonderful fall weather. I love going to the cider mill and I highly recommend that you head down there for your bottle of fresh cider. Enjoy and have a great week, everyone!
In loving memory of Edward W. Tunstall and Richard L. Platte Sr.
No comments:
Post a Comment